Skip to main content

I joined the circus...



Yesterday afternoon I took some sugary treats out to my friends at the Tiny Circus work camp. About a dozen people are currently there working on various aspects of the project. Imagine my excitement when I walked into the studio to find creation central in full work mode. Glue guns, card stock, yarn, paint, tin foil...the supplies were endless and the creative uses of them in full force. After a short break for brownie sundaes, everyone returned to work and Greta invited me to come back after dark for the animation session of the night. Shooting is done after dark so that the crew can have full control of the lighting being as "the studio" is in an out building at the Ferguson's farm. I returned home to feed and bathe my girlies and tuck them snug into their beds before heading back out for "the shoot."

When I arrived the story board had been created, all the props had been made, the studio cleaned up, and the crew was in the process of getting the shot and lighting set to begin the animation. Basically the process entails taking some little props and paper cut outs, putting them on a back drop, shooting hundreds of still photos as people gently move everything an 1/8 of an inch at a time, and then through the magic of technology it all gets strung together to make a little short film like the one above. It's a slow process, but it's really fun to see it all coming together. Last night's story...The History of Popcorn.

I felt like a bit of a party crasher, benefiting from all the hard work that had been put in earlier in the day. On the flip side, not having been in the process all day I was fresh and easily made it through the 3 hour photo shoot session while others were starting to wilt. (It probably helps that I'm a bit of a night owl.) I got to puppet popping popcorn, be a giant hand, spin the windmill, and set (which was actually raising since the order of the photos will be reversed) the sun. 3 hours flew by and when the last photo was taken I was amazed to find that the clock said 12:32 am! After sitting around for a bit of a chat, I headed home shortly after 1 with my brain buzzing from the evening's creative adventure. It reminded me of the so many nights I've spent up until the wee hours of the night finishing homemade Christmas gifts, making Halloween costumes, or quilting/crafting and chatting with my good friend Jen. For some reason I'm drawn to late night creation time. I think it's because the rest of the world is quiet, removing any distractions and allowing the creative juices to flow freely.

One of the things I'm most impressed with this morning as I think about the night, was how smoothly every thing went. This group of people from all over the country came together and in one day seamlessly worked together to make this little story come to life. I realize I was only present for a short time, but there was no conflict in the air, everyone's ideas were heard and included when possible. It really was an example of collaboration at it's best.

Thanks Tiny Circus for a great night. I look forward to a visit again soon!


peace

Comments

My Most Read Thoughts

DIY: Reusable Produce Bags

With Earth Day festivities gearing up for tomorrow, I thought I'd take a moment to post a short DIY tutorial on making your own reusable cloth produce bags. (Tutorial inspired by my favorite crafty mom blog, Crazy Mom Quilts. Produce bags inspired by running into my friend Laura at the grocery store while she was stuffing her produce into these.) This is my next step in the fight against the excessive use of plastic bags.

Our family has been making small environmentally minded changes in our daily lives over the past few years. We use reusable shopping bags. We've stopped buying/using Ziploc bags and plastic wrap. I'm trying to commute around town via bike more. I'm being more mindful about where the food we buy comes from and how it was produced. We more often hang our laundry on the line to dry in the spring and summer instead of just throwing it in the dryer. (Which is convenient at the moment since our dryer has decided to quit drying.) As we use up chemically clean…

Senseless...

Today while I sat in a classroom supervising students as they worked on their math assignments, I watched Lexi through the window enjoying time with her friends during recess. My heart smiled.

Those moments, moments of learning and carefree fun, those are the moments that SHOULD make up a school day. As a Mom, and an elementary school employee, my heart is breaking over the news and images coming out of Connecticut today. 
I send my kids off to school everyday without a second thought that they will return safely come day's end, just as I'm sure each one of those parents in Newtown did this morning.
Every day I walk into my school for work without a second thought to my personal safety, just as I'm sure each of those teachers, paras, custodians, sectretaries, etc in Newtown did this morning. 
Theories will be published. Evidence will be presented. Words will be exchanged about gun control and the need for change in our current culture of violence. I don't suspec…

Sunday Morning Silly...

Once in a while Dando's curiosity urges him to venture off the bookshelf so he check out other toys in the house.




I think he thinks Froggy is missing a few marbles.


peace