Skip to main content

1st Grade, Day 1...

School has officially begun for the '08-'09 year, and look at us with a big 1st grader. Lexi's teacher this year is Mrs. Harms. Apparently 1st grade does seem like as big a deal as starting Kindergarten was last year for us. Yesterday was the open house which allows you to visit your new classroom, meet your teacher, and drop off all your supplies. Last year I took a ton of pictures during this visit...this year, I didn't even think to take out the camera. Oops!

(Side note...watching the new Kindergarteners walk into school yesterday, I was AMAZED at how little/young they looked. Did Lexi really change THAT much in just one year. Apparently, yes!)


And then this morning's photo session was less than smooth. It's gray and rainy (Can you imagine being a teacher today? 1st day of school and no outdoor recess because of rain. Teachers are saints!), I needed a little flash even outdoors, I forgot to switch the camera off aperture dependent metering for the first few shots so the light's all wrong...I think I should have had a little coffee BEFORE walking to school instead of waiting until after! Sheesh!

But photos snags aside, the morning went as smoothly as could be wished for. No fighting Lexi to get out of bed, only minimal reminders to finish eating breakfast in a reasonable time, I successfully made my 1st of 175 (give or take) PB&J sandwiches for the year, and the whole family was present to amble down the block to deliver Lexi to school. (Scott let work know he'd be in late today so he could be here with us. Thanks honey!) Success.

The house is quiet. Brea is playing away with the Potato Heads, patiently waiting for Mommy to finish typing so we can visit the coffee shop like I promised her we would this morning as a special treat. (OK, like we need an excuse to go to the coffee shop...I have been cutting back quite a bit lately so today actually will feel like a special treat!) I look forward to the end of the day pick up at 3 to hear all about the 1st day of 1st grade. I'm sure it will be great!


peace

Comments

My Most Read Thoughts

DIY: Reusable Produce Bags

With Earth Day festivities gearing up for tomorrow, I thought I'd take a moment to post a short DIY tutorial on making your own reusable cloth produce bags. (Tutorial inspired by my favorite crafty mom blog, Crazy Mom Quilts. Produce bags inspired by running into my friend Laura at the grocery store while she was stuffing her produce into these.) This is my next step in the fight against the excessive use of plastic bags.

Our family has been making small environmentally minded changes in our daily lives over the past few years. We use reusable shopping bags. We've stopped buying/using Ziploc bags and plastic wrap. I'm trying to commute around town via bike more. I'm being more mindful about where the food we buy comes from and how it was produced. We more often hang our laundry on the line to dry in the spring and summer instead of just throwing it in the dryer. (Which is convenient at the moment since our dryer has decided to quit drying.) As we use up chemically clean…

Senseless...

Today while I sat in a classroom supervising students as they worked on their math assignments, I watched Lexi through the window enjoying time with her friends during recess. My heart smiled.

Those moments, moments of learning and carefree fun, those are the moments that SHOULD make up a school day. As a Mom, and an elementary school employee, my heart is breaking over the news and images coming out of Connecticut today. 
I send my kids off to school everyday without a second thought that they will return safely come day's end, just as I'm sure each one of those parents in Newtown did this morning.
Every day I walk into my school for work without a second thought to my personal safety, just as I'm sure each of those teachers, paras, custodians, sectretaries, etc in Newtown did this morning. 
Theories will be published. Evidence will be presented. Words will be exchanged about gun control and the need for change in our current culture of violence. I don't suspec…

Sunday Morning Silly...

Once in a while Dando's curiosity urges him to venture off the bookshelf so he check out other toys in the house.




I think he thinks Froggy is missing a few marbles.


peace