Skip to main content

Spring Break, the Cliff Notes...


So here's the deal. I had great intentions of updating our Spring Break adventures daily on the blog. Obviously that didn't happen. Various reasons...limited internet access during the house remodel, limited computer use due to the fact it's in mom and Rod's bedroom and they are early to bedders, limited energy due to being a single parent all week. Various reasons. So he's the digest version.

We had a great trip. Picking up after my last post...

Tuesday was the Grandparents Hall day. Everyone was there for a short chat. Of course we had to get our annual (or as close as we can get) 5 generation photo. Look at those pretty ladies!


For some reason the whole lot of us were tired and cranky on Tuesday night. So we all went to our corners and vegged a bit after "taco Tuesday" night. I did laundry as we only packed 3 days worth of clothes (plus what we wore when we left) so without doing laundry we would have either wore our PJs all day on Wednesday OR gone naked. It's too cold in NE in March to go naked, so I laundered.

Wednesday we got a breakfast visit from Aunt Carol and ran into town to visit Great Grandma Reitz. Lexi is finally getting old enough to remember who everyone is even though we only see them on average once a year!


The rest of the day was spent at home playing in the sun and spending as much time OUT of the car as possible as we would load up on Thursday for the return drive home. Wednesday was also the day Lexi mastered riding a bike without training wheels! Once she figured it out she was unstoppable!

Thursday brought the inevitable...our departure. It's always such bitter sweet sorrow. On one hand we're always so sad to leave as the time between visits is TOO LONG. On the other, we are always so excited to return home to our house, daddy, and our normal routine. It helped that the sun was shining and beautiful the morning we left and that Grandpa Rod was home to snuggle Grandma through the tears.

Our return drive was pretty uneventful. A picnic at the Sutherland rest stop Thursday for lunch. Fun. A coffee treat at Gothenburg (thanks Aunt Kathleen) and one more quick visit. A night at the York Super 8 which included, as promised, swimming. A short stop for a Harley Davidson t-shirt for daddy at Frontier HD in Lincoln on Friday followed by a walk through of the rain forest and aquarium at the Omaha zoo...and then we were home. Back to life as we know it.

A whole album of pictures from our travels can be seen on our Shutterfly sight. Warning...there's a lot...but a week is a long time and a once a year visit is a big deal worthy of lots of photos!

This morning I was back at the studio teaching...it felt great and I think I was missed. I'm going to be sore tomorrow...but that's ok, it's Easter so we'll spend most of the day in our PJs gearing up for the start of our normal lives again on Monday. Vacation is great...but I'm always glad to get back to normal life too.

Loves to all our family. We had a GREAT time and will remember the feeling of your embraces until our next visit!


peace

Comments

My Most Read Thoughts

Senseless...

Today while I sat in a classroom supervising students as they worked on their math assignments, I watched Lexi through the window enjoying time with her friends during recess. My heart smiled.

Those moments, moments of learning and carefree fun, those are the moments that SHOULD make up a school day. As a Mom, and an elementary school employee, my heart is breaking over the news and images coming out of Connecticut today. 
I send my kids off to school everyday without a second thought that they will return safely come day's end, just as I'm sure each one of those parents in Newtown did this morning.
Every day I walk into my school for work without a second thought to my personal safety, just as I'm sure each of those teachers, paras, custodians, sectretaries, etc in Newtown did this morning. 
Theories will be published. Evidence will be presented. Words will be exchanged about gun control and the need for change in our current culture of violence. I don't suspec…

DIY: Reusable Produce Bags

With Earth Day festivities gearing up for tomorrow, I thought I'd take a moment to post a short DIY tutorial on making your own reusable cloth produce bags. (Tutorial inspired by my favorite crafty mom blog, Crazy Mom Quilts. Produce bags inspired by running into my friend Laura at the grocery store while she was stuffing her produce into these.) This is my next step in the fight against the excessive use of plastic bags.

Our family has been making small environmentally minded changes in our daily lives over the past few years. We use reusable shopping bags. We've stopped buying/using Ziploc bags and plastic wrap. I'm trying to commute around town via bike more. I'm being more mindful about where the food we buy comes from and how it was produced. We more often hang our laundry on the line to dry in the spring and summer instead of just throwing it in the dryer. (Which is convenient at the moment since our dryer has decided to quit drying.) As we use up chemically clean…

Sunday Morning Silly...

Once in a while Dando's curiosity urges him to venture off the bookshelf so he check out other toys in the house.




I think he thinks Froggy is missing a few marbles.


peace