Skip to main content

Making good...

Life is relaxed, and moving forward.

With the start of the new month, I figured it was a good time to "report" on my non-resolutions posted at the start of the new year. Today's topic...photography.

I admit, I'm not one to sit down with the manual of a new item and read it cover to cover. When I got my digital Rebel 18 months ago (hard to believe we've been together that long), I simply read as much as I needed to start shooting. So my first step in my quest to spend more time playing with my interest in photography was to sit with the manual. Amazing what I learned in a matter of 30 minutes with a little book that's been sitting here on my desk for all those months. For example...I've always wondered how to take indoor photos sans flash...I much prefer the softness of natural light to the shadows and harsh lines created by the crappy built in flash. Guess what, it tells you how to do that in the manual. So that's what all those other icons are on the settings dial. What fun I've had photography the girls in our light filled living room the past couple of weeks while we've been stuck inside thanks to the cold!

Granted, I have some work to do as the images, while soft and real, are a bit grainy. I think the correct photography term is "noisy". But that's one of the beauties of digital photography...the ability to try it over and over and over again and delete those images that just didn't just quite work out.

I love books. So it was only natural that I ordered a book for more reading on the subject. After reading lots of reviews on the Barnes and Noble website, I choose this book.

It arrived Thursday. So after spending a few minutes flipping through it over the past couple of days, this morning with coffee in hand, while the girls were engrossed in Saturday morning cartoons, I opened the covers to begin reading in earnest. I think I made a good choice...but imagine my horror while reading the section about choosing your file type and learning that the JPEG format, the format that ALL of my photos are stored in mind you, while easy to use and relatively small in size is not the most stable for long term use! I'm still breathing, though seriously considering changing my camera settings to catch all our photos in both jpeg and raw format. (Maybe then I can serious think about investing in Photoshop...or at least continue to dream about it!) I'm eager to continue reading.

In addition to my new book, I'm lucky to have several websites and blogs that offer up endless inspiration. These fabulous and talented individuals truly have a gift for bringing out the beauty in our world. A local photographer and yogini. A beloved friend. A beautiful spirit and cousin. A complete stranger and crafter. A mom with a love of things beautiful. Each is unique. Each is beautiful.

Our casual Saturday morning is ticking on. On to my next quest for the day...the dishes. Not as creative and fun, but necessary.


peace

Comments

My Most Read Thoughts

DIY: Reusable Produce Bags

With Earth Day festivities gearing up for tomorrow, I thought I'd take a moment to post a short DIY tutorial on making your own reusable cloth produce bags. (Tutorial inspired by my favorite crafty mom blog, Crazy Mom Quilts. Produce bags inspired by running into my friend Laura at the grocery store while she was stuffing her produce into these.) This is my next step in the fight against the excessive use of plastic bags.

Our family has been making small environmentally minded changes in our daily lives over the past few years. We use reusable shopping bags. We've stopped buying/using Ziploc bags and plastic wrap. I'm trying to commute around town via bike more. I'm being more mindful about where the food we buy comes from and how it was produced. We more often hang our laundry on the line to dry in the spring and summer instead of just throwing it in the dryer. (Which is convenient at the moment since our dryer has decided to quit drying.) As we use up chemically clean…

Senseless...

Today while I sat in a classroom supervising students as they worked on their math assignments, I watched Lexi through the window enjoying time with her friends during recess. My heart smiled.

Those moments, moments of learning and carefree fun, those are the moments that SHOULD make up a school day. As a Mom, and an elementary school employee, my heart is breaking over the news and images coming out of Connecticut today. 
I send my kids off to school everyday without a second thought that they will return safely come day's end, just as I'm sure each one of those parents in Newtown did this morning.
Every day I walk into my school for work without a second thought to my personal safety, just as I'm sure each of those teachers, paras, custodians, sectretaries, etc in Newtown did this morning. 
Theories will be published. Evidence will be presented. Words will be exchanged about gun control and the need for change in our current culture of violence. I don't suspec…

Sunday Morning Silly...

Once in a while Dando's curiosity urges him to venture off the bookshelf so he check out other toys in the house.




I think he thinks Froggy is missing a few marbles.


peace