Skip to main content

Exhaling...

Today, after 5 months of uncertainty, of ups and downs, of holding our breath....today, we finally got to exhale. Scott has been offered, and has accepted, a new job. It pretty much happened like so many people said it would. Nothing, nothing, nothing...and then all of sudden, BAM!

Ironically, after 5 months of barely even being able to get an interview, this week brought 3 interviews and 2 offers.

One offer would have taken us back to Wayne, actually to WSC. How many years have we considered returning to a place we called home during those infant years of our marriage? We loved our time in Wayne and still enjoy returning to visit friends and loved ones there. (Kyle, Dan, Megan, Nick...we love you and we promise to come back soon to visit!) So, naturally when the search in Iowa was going no where, Wayne became an attractive option. An application was sent, an interview was scheduled...all in less than a week's time. Scott had a wonderful trip, a good interview, but when it came down to decision time, we were torn. It was not a decision to make lightly. I so badly wanted to support the move and Scott in his desire to find a career, not just another job. Higher Education fits our family well and I know Scott would enjoy working in that environment. But the uncertainties and road-blocks were many. An entry level job meant accepting entry level pay. I would have had to return to work and finding a job that would still fit my professional goals and interests in a town 1/2 the size of Grinnell would have been tricky. Then there's the whole issue of selling our house in a crumby housing market and relocating after spending the next 4 months living apart with Scott in Wayne and us girls here, finishing out the school year.

Right or wrong, I tend to follow my gut. And while I kept telling myself it was going to be ok if we accepted the WSC offer and set things in motion to make the move, my gut resisted and today the tears let loose. My heart ached at the thought of leaving the place and the people who have become our home over the past 9 years. The thought of taking a step back and essentially starting over took my breath away. We're strong people, we could have made it work...but then this morning came offer #2.

The second offer, the one Scott chose to accept, is here in town. In just a few short days he'll be starting his new career as a medical office manager, a job where he will get to utilize his skills and education to help the workings of a small, private clinic. Health care administration has been an interest for several years and we're confident this is a good fit for both Scott professionally and for what we need at this time in our lives as a family. It amazes me how how this unexpected opportunity come along at just the right time.

I don't know that I can even begin to explain the mood shift that has taken place in our house over the past 12 hours. It's a collective exhale. Smiles have come back to our faces. There's a comfort in the air...like the comfort and love you can feel in this tender moment between daddy and daughter.


It warms my heart. We are at peace. Balance has been restored. Life is once again moving forward.

I don't even know how to begin to express the deep heart felt gratitude that I have for all of the blessed people in our lives who have been so encouraging and supportive through this difficult process. It is that out pouring of love that helped us to maintain some semblance of normalcy in our lives over the past 5 months. Thanks to endless words of encouragement, we never lost hope that blessings were indeed headed our way. It was during our time of need that so many lent a helping hand and that generosity will never be forgotten. We share this victory with you all. May you be blessed as you have blessed us.

Tonight the tears are flowing again as I write this. But these are the warm tears of love and joy. Happy tears they are.


peace

Comments

Teri T said…
Jenn

Well this is certainly GREAT news. Congrats to you and Scott...I am so pleased you are able to stay in Grinnell...God bless. Teri T

My Most Read Thoughts

Senseless...

Today while I sat in a classroom supervising students as they worked on their math assignments, I watched Lexi through the window enjoying time with her friends during recess. My heart smiled.

Those moments, moments of learning and carefree fun, those are the moments that SHOULD make up a school day. As a Mom, and an elementary school employee, my heart is breaking over the news and images coming out of Connecticut today. 
I send my kids off to school everyday without a second thought that they will return safely come day's end, just as I'm sure each one of those parents in Newtown did this morning.
Every day I walk into my school for work without a second thought to my personal safety, just as I'm sure each of those teachers, paras, custodians, sectretaries, etc in Newtown did this morning. 
Theories will be published. Evidence will be presented. Words will be exchanged about gun control and the need for change in our current culture of violence. I don't suspec…

DIY: Reusable Produce Bags

With Earth Day festivities gearing up for tomorrow, I thought I'd take a moment to post a short DIY tutorial on making your own reusable cloth produce bags. (Tutorial inspired by my favorite crafty mom blog, Crazy Mom Quilts. Produce bags inspired by running into my friend Laura at the grocery store while she was stuffing her produce into these.) This is my next step in the fight against the excessive use of plastic bags.

Our family has been making small environmentally minded changes in our daily lives over the past few years. We use reusable shopping bags. We've stopped buying/using Ziploc bags and plastic wrap. I'm trying to commute around town via bike more. I'm being more mindful about where the food we buy comes from and how it was produced. We more often hang our laundry on the line to dry in the spring and summer instead of just throwing it in the dryer. (Which is convenient at the moment since our dryer has decided to quit drying.) As we use up chemically clean…

Sunday Morning Silly...

Once in a while Dando's curiosity urges him to venture off the bookshelf so he check out other toys in the house.




I think he thinks Froggy is missing a few marbles.


peace