Skip to main content

What's in a name?


One of the fun aspects of RAGBRAI are all the teams that have been created over the years. There are of course organized teams based on common ground, such as military affiliations like Team Air Force who had over 150 riders this year. There are also a number of teams based on charities...Team Relay for Life, Team Livestrong, etc. But a majority of the teams are individuals like our little group, friends who get together and come up with a silly name. My personal favorite, Team Pirate. I mean how fun would it be to be a pirate for a whole week. The number of booty jokes/references alone are priceless. AND they have a really cool bus! There are teams named after animals...Team Cow (who's bikes and clothing look like a herd of milk cows), Team Flamingo (who wear their distinctive pink boas throughout the week), Team Whiners (who's motto is "Fork more Pork."). And of course there are plenty of team names that are just a little bit naughty and suggestive, after all, RAGBRAI for many is a time to let go of reservations and take on a bit of a different persona for a week.

So as we make plans for next year, one of the things our crew needs to consider is our team name. This year we rode "unofficially" as Team Single Brothers and Married Sisters. Team motto (the brothers' creation) "We pedal the bikes, they make the babies." Or shortened its, "We pedal, they procreate." While funny, I'm not sure I'm cool with the implication that I'm only good for "makin' the babies". Not to mention it seems a little exclusive, limiting our membership to those who fit the bill. So I thought I'd explore some other options (yes, my brain has way to much free time and not near enough stimulation!)

Team Tube Sock. Simply because I can't say tube sock without smiling. It's just funny.

Team Peeps. As in "me and my peeps"...a commonly used phrase this past RAGBRAI. Plus I'm sure we could find plenty of ways to use chic references during the week.

Team Yoda. Not because we're Star Wars fanatics, but because Yoda is wise, green, and zenny....just like us :)

Team Salt and Lime. Probably no explanation needed there!

Team Airstream. Our team-mobile next year. I wonder if we can get jerseys with a airstream on them...how cool would that be?

Team Brothers & Sisters. No relationship status indication needed :) If you're on the team, your our brother or our sister. One big happy family!

And my personal favorite (born from the desire to incorporate my yoga practice with the fun spirit of RAGBRAI)....

Team Rub the Budda. Sounds dirty, but it not. (Though I'm imagine the brothers already have some ideas on how to use this to their advantage...)

I'm sure we'll have many heated discussions before a find decision is made. Hopefully over a cold drink with salt and lime. Regardless of the our team name...fun is sure to be had...both on and off the bike!

peace


Comments

My Most Read Thoughts

Senseless...

Today while I sat in a classroom supervising students as they worked on their math assignments, I watched Lexi through the window enjoying time with her friends during recess. My heart smiled.

Those moments, moments of learning and carefree fun, those are the moments that SHOULD make up a school day. As a Mom, and an elementary school employee, my heart is breaking over the news and images coming out of Connecticut today. 
I send my kids off to school everyday without a second thought that they will return safely come day's end, just as I'm sure each one of those parents in Newtown did this morning.
Every day I walk into my school for work without a second thought to my personal safety, just as I'm sure each of those teachers, paras, custodians, sectretaries, etc in Newtown did this morning. 
Theories will be published. Evidence will be presented. Words will be exchanged about gun control and the need for change in our current culture of violence. I don't suspec…

DIY: Reusable Produce Bags

With Earth Day festivities gearing up for tomorrow, I thought I'd take a moment to post a short DIY tutorial on making your own reusable cloth produce bags. (Tutorial inspired by my favorite crafty mom blog, Crazy Mom Quilts. Produce bags inspired by running into my friend Laura at the grocery store while she was stuffing her produce into these.) This is my next step in the fight against the excessive use of plastic bags.

Our family has been making small environmentally minded changes in our daily lives over the past few years. We use reusable shopping bags. We've stopped buying/using Ziploc bags and plastic wrap. I'm trying to commute around town via bike more. I'm being more mindful about where the food we buy comes from and how it was produced. We more often hang our laundry on the line to dry in the spring and summer instead of just throwing it in the dryer. (Which is convenient at the moment since our dryer has decided to quit drying.) As we use up chemically clean…

Sunday Morning Silly...

Once in a while Dando's curiosity urges him to venture off the bookshelf so he check out other toys in the house.




I think he thinks Froggy is missing a few marbles.


peace