Skip to main content

I want to ride my bicycle...


A few times in one's life, opportunities and experiences come a long that forever change and enhance your life. This past week I've been lucky enough to live one of those moments. RAGBRAI 2007 is now a thing of the past, but the fun, laughter, and friendships will continue to live on for many years to come.

When I decided to pursue this adventure I knew it would be physically demanding, sometimes so much that I'd want to throw in the towel and hop the sag wagon. What I didn't expect was the laughter, the dancing, the saddle sores, the meaningful conversations, the quiet comfortable silences, the hugs, the tears, the beauty, and the love.

Today as I continue to physically recover and emotionally process the whole experience, I find myself flooded with emotion. My eyes fill with tears and my heart misses my peeps more than I ever imagined possible. All day people have asked how my week was and it feels so understating to simply say I had a wonderful time. Even now, trying to put my feelings into words, I am lost and find myself just staring at the pictures and recalling the memories with a mixture of smiles and tears.


Laura, Elaine, Carlos, and Jason... I love you all. You are each such beautiful people and I'm so honored to have spent a week in your presence. You each played an important role in getting me through the week, whether it was encouragement to get back on my bike, to keep on pedaling, or laughter at the end of the day, I would have never made it without you. You will each always have a piece of my heart. Dance on my friends!


Jason, lil bro...thank you so much for your support and encouragement. I love that I got to have this experience with you. To get a better understanding of who you are. To see your strengths and your weaknesses. I miss you already. I love you.

Of course, many thanks also goes out to my family who held down the fort while I was gone. Scott, your support and selfless willingness to become a single parent for a week so that I could go on this adventure means more to me than you will ever know. To my two little girlies, thank you for your strength, which every day encourages me to be a better person and a better mommy.

I think it's going to take some time to fully process the whole experience. At the same time I'm doing my best to be mindful of living in the present and not getting lost in the past...after all I'm just coming off a whole week of FULLY experiencing the present. But while I'm living the present, I can look to the future as so begins the countdown to '08!

peace


Comments

My Most Read Thoughts

DIY: Reusable Produce Bags

With Earth Day festivities gearing up for tomorrow, I thought I'd take a moment to post a short DIY tutorial on making your own reusable cloth produce bags. (Tutorial inspired by my favorite crafty mom blog, Crazy Mom Quilts. Produce bags inspired by running into my friend Laura at the grocery store while she was stuffing her produce into these.) This is my next step in the fight against the excessive use of plastic bags.

Our family has been making small environmentally minded changes in our daily lives over the past few years. We use reusable shopping bags. We've stopped buying/using Ziploc bags and plastic wrap. I'm trying to commute around town via bike more. I'm being more mindful about where the food we buy comes from and how it was produced. We more often hang our laundry on the line to dry in the spring and summer instead of just throwing it in the dryer. (Which is convenient at the moment since our dryer has decided to quit drying.) As we use up chemically clean…

Senseless...

Today while I sat in a classroom supervising students as they worked on their math assignments, I watched Lexi through the window enjoying time with her friends during recess. My heart smiled.

Those moments, moments of learning and carefree fun, those are the moments that SHOULD make up a school day. As a Mom, and an elementary school employee, my heart is breaking over the news and images coming out of Connecticut today. 
I send my kids off to school everyday without a second thought that they will return safely come day's end, just as I'm sure each one of those parents in Newtown did this morning.
Every day I walk into my school for work without a second thought to my personal safety, just as I'm sure each of those teachers, paras, custodians, sectretaries, etc in Newtown did this morning. 
Theories will be published. Evidence will be presented. Words will be exchanged about gun control and the need for change in our current culture of violence. I don't suspec…

Sunday Morning Silly...

Once in a while Dando's curiosity urges him to venture off the bookshelf so he check out other toys in the house.




I think he thinks Froggy is missing a few marbles.


peace