Skip to main content

Today's post brought to you by the letter T...

It's been a busy couple of weeks at our house. As I was thinking of all the photos and stories I'd like to post about, I realized they all had something in common, the letter T. So I decided just to lump them all together into one big post or who knows when/if I'd ever get it done as individual entries! So here goes...

A Trip
Friday the 8th the girls and I headed to Ord, NE to spend a weekend with the Bengston family. In addition to our visit, which allowed me to see their newly built house, Jen hosted a The Body Shop spa event for me. It was a great weekend. As always, we (Jen and I) stayed up way too late chatting, we ate great food, the girls had a ton of fun playing, and before we knew it, was time for the Mavin ladies to head back to Iowa. It was a great time. Thanks Bengstons for your hospitality!


A Turtle and a Tortoise
First, the Turtle. Archie, a Western Painted Turtle has come to live with us. Our beloved friend Marie has moved away from Grinnell and for several reasons didn't want to drag Archie along with her. So he's come to live her in our office. It may be temporary, it may be permanent, we're not sure yet. Having Archie here is pretty cool actually. He's fun to watch and today we took him out for a romp in the yard. Lexi has done a great job feeding him every day and making sure his light gets turned on in the morning and off at night. We'll see if I'm as excited to have him here once I do a tank cleaning...a task that has to be done monthly to avoid nasty bacteria.


Now, the Tortoise. Friday night we decided to break Scott out of work early and head to Des Moines for Family Fun night at the Blank Park Zoo. Once a month the zoo stays open late and has special family focused activities and zoo keeper chats. It's a great zoo for small kids as it's easily walked in a little over an hour and there are lots of exhibits that little kids can easily see into. One of my favorites is the giant tortoise exhibit. Let me tell you, after our experience on Friday night I don't know that I'll ever be able to look at those tortoises without laughing! As we neared their area we noticed there were lots of people gathered. It didn't take long for us to realize why. Barnabus (a 90 year old tortoise who has been at the zoo since it opened in the 60s) was mounting Flap-Jack (a 60 year old female.) What we learned from this experience...
1. Tortoises can be rather quick when they put their mind to something.
2. They can be pretty loud!
Yes, there was moaning...a fact that probably made the whole experience funnier than one would expect because who knew that tortoises made noise period! One of the zoo keepers came out to feed them and was telling a little about the tortoises (hence how we know names and ages) and unfortunately there won't be any little Barney's running around from their efforts because of how fertility in tortoises work. But you've gotta give props to Barnabus for his zealous attempt at his age!

The Teeth
If you follow my blog you know that we've been dealing with the drama of loosing teeth in our house. I'm happy to report that since Thursday we have lost not one, but two teeth. The first on Thursday night was still a big ordeal with plenty of tears, but today Lexi herself extracted the first top tooth that has come out without hardly any fuss. She's so proud of herself, and we are so proud of her for taking that step. She looks so different with a gigantic gap where her little tooth used to be.


peace




Comments

jonesme said…
What great news - she's taking her own teeth out! What's up with the turtle; I can't imagine caring for one. You get gold stars.

Meg

My Most Read Thoughts

DIY: Reusable Produce Bags

With Earth Day festivities gearing up for tomorrow, I thought I'd take a moment to post a short DIY tutorial on making your own reusable cloth produce bags. (Tutorial inspired by my favorite crafty mom blog, Crazy Mom Quilts. Produce bags inspired by running into my friend Laura at the grocery store while she was stuffing her produce into these.) This is my next step in the fight against the excessive use of plastic bags.

Our family has been making small environmentally minded changes in our daily lives over the past few years. We use reusable shopping bags. We've stopped buying/using Ziploc bags and plastic wrap. I'm trying to commute around town via bike more. I'm being more mindful about where the food we buy comes from and how it was produced. We more often hang our laundry on the line to dry in the spring and summer instead of just throwing it in the dryer. (Which is convenient at the moment since our dryer has decided to quit drying.) As we use up chemically clean…

Senseless...

Today while I sat in a classroom supervising students as they worked on their math assignments, I watched Lexi through the window enjoying time with her friends during recess. My heart smiled.

Those moments, moments of learning and carefree fun, those are the moments that SHOULD make up a school day. As a Mom, and an elementary school employee, my heart is breaking over the news and images coming out of Connecticut today. 
I send my kids off to school everyday without a second thought that they will return safely come day's end, just as I'm sure each one of those parents in Newtown did this morning.
Every day I walk into my school for work without a second thought to my personal safety, just as I'm sure each of those teachers, paras, custodians, sectretaries, etc in Newtown did this morning. 
Theories will be published. Evidence will be presented. Words will be exchanged about gun control and the need for change in our current culture of violence. I don't suspec…

Sunday Morning Silly...

Once in a while Dando's curiosity urges him to venture off the bookshelf so he check out other toys in the house.




I think he thinks Froggy is missing a few marbles.


peace