Skip to main content

Finding our way...



"Things happen for a reason."

We hear this all the time, but not always are we in a state of awareness that allows us to discover that reason. I haven't always been the most patient, when it comes to letting things happen when they is right. I've always wanted to rush things along to fit the schedule I thought life should follow. But over the past few years, maybe it's the intelligence of age and experience finally showing through, I've tried to be more mindful and allow the lessons and coincidences in life to develop as organically as possible.

Lately those little coincidences have left me in moments of awe. This fall it was a comment from my daughter several weeks after stepping away from a full time job to be more of a full time mommy that confirmed I had made the right decision. It's been things like the gift of a book from a friend with a very pointed story about one woman's spiritual quest. It's been running across a blog by Sean Corn (internationally known yoga teacher who does work with YouthAIDS) about using her vocation in India to positively affect a terribly negative situation. Or this week it was my brother asking me to edit/read an article that he's writing for work and the sentence "
I live in a system created to consume, not conserve, and that troubles me." that summed up so many of the same thoughts/questions/struggles I've been pondering as of late.

I tend to live in my head. More than I think those who know me realize. I mull things over. I soak in as much information as I can, think through all the possible scenarios, and let my heart get a good feel for the situation before coming to a decision/opinion. Then, if you're lucky, I'll share those thoughts with you when and IF the right moment presents itself. It's this final step, the getting things out of my head that seems to present me with a challenge. Whether it's because I'm afraid of not getting acceptance for my thoughts and beliefs, or if it's because I just don't necessarily see th importance of letting that information be known as long as I've reached a place of peace within myself, I'm not sure why this is such a hard step for me. Whatever the reason, I know it ultimately stifles growth.

Recently, meaning over the past few years, I've noticed the need to discover and define more who I am. Not who I am Jenn, married with 2 kids, a dog, and a house, who enjoys yoga, coffee, and gardening. But a much deeper sense of who I am in relationship to the greater universe around me. I mean, don't get me wrong, those other titles are important to me. I love my family and friends dearly. My favorite titles in life are "mommy", "sister", "daughter", "friend", and "wife" just to name a few. I'm blessed to have what I have in life. But I've notice over the past several years a shift in focus/topic of my inner dialog when I think about who I am and why I exist on this Earth in this place and time.

Interestingly enough, while this inner thought process has been going on for years in my head, an external dialog with others in my life to parallel this process hasn't always been happening. Heaven knows if people understood where my thoughts were sometimes it might make some of the more tense relationships/topics in my life a little less so. Such as why I choose to NOT shop at Wal-mart and promote wasteful consumerism. Or why I have a problem with individuals showering my girls with THINGS as a show of their love rather than other gifts such as time or experiences.

So I find myself at this point where I have developed thoughts and feelings about topics such as my spiritual beliefs, feelings about my role in caring for our environment, passions concerning what I feel is my vocation and dreams about how I'd like to use that calling to bring more good into the world, and I suddenly am starting to feel the need to share these things with loved ones in my life, to allow for continued growth. And I am lost.

How do you begin that type of conversation?

"Well today I going to the grocery store, I need to mail a few items at the post office, and then I was wondering if you'd like to have dinner with me and discuss my passions about my vocation and where I'd like to focus my future efforts in relationship to those passions." Ok, that's not a bad one, but you get the point. I mean anytime you put yourself out there like that there is the risk of forever upsetting the balance of a relationship in your life. I think we'd all agree that it's a fact of life that as you grow and develop as an individual you're going to gain and lose people along the way. Hopefully you are lucky enough to have people come into your life who can help to nurture the individual you are becoming. At times you need to let go of relationships that hold you back from that development. But the most scary of all, at least in my opinion, are those relationship which you don't expect (or want) to change, but do for one reason or another. Essentially, this fear is probably the number one reason I don't often share my deepest thoughts and feelings with those in my life...even those closest to me.

It's interesting finding our way in life. The different paths we travel which we may never expect to explore. The people we meet along the way. The pains and the joys that are experienced. I think you'd agree with me it's not always an easy journey, especially for those of us who feel the need to actively engage in the journey, rather than just coast along on a joy ride. But it's also reassuring to know that we're not alone on our journey. That more likely than not there's at least one person out there who has felt the same way you have, who has experienced the same internal and external struggles. And if were lucky, we'll meet a few of those people along the way...when the time is ready. After all, everything happens for a reason.


peace


Comments

Anonymous said…
I think this is very brave of you to post!

Meg

My Most Read Thoughts

DIY: Reusable Produce Bags

With Earth Day festivities gearing up for tomorrow, I thought I'd take a moment to post a short DIY tutorial on making your own reusable cloth produce bags. (Tutorial inspired by my favorite crafty mom blog, Crazy Mom Quilts. Produce bags inspired by running into my friend Laura at the grocery store while she was stuffing her produce into these.) This is my next step in the fight against the excessive use of plastic bags.

Our family has been making small environmentally minded changes in our daily lives over the past few years. We use reusable shopping bags. We've stopped buying/using Ziploc bags and plastic wrap. I'm trying to commute around town via bike more. I'm being more mindful about where the food we buy comes from and how it was produced. We more often hang our laundry on the line to dry in the spring and summer instead of just throwing it in the dryer. (Which is convenient at the moment since our dryer has decided to quit drying.) As we use up chemically clean…

Senseless...

Today while I sat in a classroom supervising students as they worked on their math assignments, I watched Lexi through the window enjoying time with her friends during recess. My heart smiled.

Those moments, moments of learning and carefree fun, those are the moments that SHOULD make up a school day. As a Mom, and an elementary school employee, my heart is breaking over the news and images coming out of Connecticut today. 
I send my kids off to school everyday without a second thought that they will return safely come day's end, just as I'm sure each one of those parents in Newtown did this morning.
Every day I walk into my school for work without a second thought to my personal safety, just as I'm sure each of those teachers, paras, custodians, sectretaries, etc in Newtown did this morning. 
Theories will be published. Evidence will be presented. Words will be exchanged about gun control and the need for change in our current culture of violence. I don't suspec…

Sunday Morning Silly...

Once in a while Dando's curiosity urges him to venture off the bookshelf so he check out other toys in the house.




I think he thinks Froggy is missing a few marbles.


peace