Skip to main content

The Tougher Side of Parenting...

Being a parent it great. I love my girls dearly. But sometimes the tougher side of parenting gets to me.

Lexi is a loving, compassionate being. She feels deeply about EVERYTHING. We are so much alike in this way. When it comes to parenting, that can be both good and bad. I can better understand what she's going through, but I also know that often her head over thinks things, making things seem so much worse than they really are.

Our latest issue, pulling baby teeth. We've had to pull three to this point and have a 4th just about ready to fall out on it's own. We have spent HOURS trying to deal with nervous and scared feelings on Lexi's part even though she knows full well how it will feel once she finally opens her mouth and allows us to give it a pull. Yesterday I tried every thing I could think of to help her be brave. The struggle drug on for HOURS, yet that little tooth still remains an inhabitant of her mouth. After a while I started to wonder...is there any lesson left to be learned here or is it so out of control that now no good will come regardless of the end result? I mean how are you suppose to know when to continue to push and when to just let it go? On one had I don't want her to think she can just resist until she gets her way, yet on the other I don't want to loose her trust and confidence in me as a loving parent which will be even more important as she ages.

I don't know that there's clear answer to my questions, when it comes to discipline it seems there's never a clear cut answer. I know this is only one of MANY challenges I'll face as a parent over the years. I'm sure there will be other times, just like yesterday, when I wind up in tears second guessing my parenting decisions and abilities and wanting to put myself in a time-out.


peace

Comments

My Most Read Thoughts

DIY: Reusable Produce Bags

With Earth Day festivities gearing up for tomorrow, I thought I'd take a moment to post a short DIY tutorial on making your own reusable cloth produce bags. (Tutorial inspired by my favorite crafty mom blog, Crazy Mom Quilts. Produce bags inspired by running into my friend Laura at the grocery store while she was stuffing her produce into these.) This is my next step in the fight against the excessive use of plastic bags.

Our family has been making small environmentally minded changes in our daily lives over the past few years. We use reusable shopping bags. We've stopped buying/using Ziploc bags and plastic wrap. I'm trying to commute around town via bike more. I'm being more mindful about where the food we buy comes from and how it was produced. We more often hang our laundry on the line to dry in the spring and summer instead of just throwing it in the dryer. (Which is convenient at the moment since our dryer has decided to quit drying.) As we use up chemically clean…

Senseless...

Today while I sat in a classroom supervising students as they worked on their math assignments, I watched Lexi through the window enjoying time with her friends during recess. My heart smiled.

Those moments, moments of learning and carefree fun, those are the moments that SHOULD make up a school day. As a Mom, and an elementary school employee, my heart is breaking over the news and images coming out of Connecticut today. 
I send my kids off to school everyday without a second thought that they will return safely come day's end, just as I'm sure each one of those parents in Newtown did this morning.
Every day I walk into my school for work without a second thought to my personal safety, just as I'm sure each of those teachers, paras, custodians, sectretaries, etc in Newtown did this morning. 
Theories will be published. Evidence will be presented. Words will be exchanged about gun control and the need for change in our current culture of violence. I don't suspec…

Sunday Morning Silly...

Once in a while Dando's curiosity urges him to venture off the bookshelf so he check out other toys in the house.




I think he thinks Froggy is missing a few marbles.


peace